Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mirror, mirror on the wall...

I am my mother after all. Or so says the pillow that my brother has in his den. And incidentally, so says my response to my mother, upon realizing she had a small blister on her lip when she arrived.

"Oh! I just read that if you make a paste of baking soda and water, and apply it often during the day, the pH of the baking soda will eliminate bad cells! Try it!"

Uh-oh. She was here less than hour and I already offered a homemade poultice for an ailment. That sure came out of left field! I think we all know what this means, and if you read my prior post on healthcare, you shouldn't be surprised at this development. I came by it honestly.

But you should be saying "tut-tut" to me, for relentlessly ribbing my Mom about her herbal remedies, while all the while stocking my own. I know, I know. In the interest of transparency, I reluctantly checked my medicine cabinet before starting this post, and I am prepared to report some of it's contents:

Essential oils: peppermint, orange, tea tree, lemongrass, lavender, lemon and rosemary.

Skin applications: Vitamin E oil, Goldenseal salve, lavender lotion (with St. John's Wort, kava kava and valerian root).

Multiple large containers of hydrogen pyroxide? Check. Mineral oil? Check. Glass bottle and medicine dropper? Oh, yes, check. And it's dark blue so the contents will not degrade in sunlight and oh my sweet mother what have I become?!

I-I-I-I am an apothecary! I simply picked up a few things here and there that I thought may be useful in the pursuit of health and fine fettle, and look what I have done! (But seriously - have you tried peppermint oil for headaches? Divine! And the Goldenseal salve really does clear up dry skin very well.)

But I am happy to report that there are no long homespun gowns, or pointed hats in my closet, and I do not own a cauldron. If you've seen what you think IS a cauldron, well, that is just a very large hefty pot for boiling, umm, lobsters. And for dying clothes. So chill out. Deep breath.

For the record? That baking soda paste did start to clear up the blister...
Told ya the root doctor was in. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put it right here, babe!