Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Spark







The spark was lit when I read the poem The Lake Isle of Innisfree. It was love at first read. The rest came slowly, lit by small ideas, and a chain reaction that is the hallmark of creativity.
First the spark - that light of interest that is inside and whispers there's something there... something good can come of this...
Then the decision to move with the spark, that in turn sets off the reaction. Very scientific, right?

Decision and Reaction then Research.

Oh-la-la... The research part being - what colors and papers and accessories do I have that perfectly suit this mood and spark?

The poem reads:

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.

-William Butler Yeats, 1865-1939


I read and re-read and mumble to myself... for peace comes dropping slow...
savoring the words, and the deal is sealed. This is it. This is what I will frame for my area, for my wall beside the chaise lounge in my room. I have a dream that this is my serenity zone, my spot to escape and have a moment - and now it should just be called Innisfree.

And shouldn't we all have an Innisfree? The place we move to in our minds, when we need that moment? The Innisfree in all of our lives is there for the creating. Mark the spot, make it so and let it welcome you.

I had the words and the place, and my mind went straight to these Basic Grey papers I had picked up a few months ago. I had tucked them away as beautiful treats, and vowed I would use them for something special.

Innisfree.

2 comments:

  1. Yes...I can well imagine you savoring those specific words. :D Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Bethany!
    It was relaxing just to read this post.
    Good luck (and I mean that) creating your space. :).
    I had to find my free moment just to be able to read this post, and not just glance.

    ReplyDelete

Put it right here, babe!