Friday, January 9, 2009

A Little Bit of Heart

Life takes a little bit of heart. Today I will not be faint of heart, I will in fact put stamps on an envelope and send it out on the wings of the gods.
See, my dear one and husband called my bluff yesterday with a few stark words. I didn't like it, but in the interest of self-examination he nailed the situation to the table. Too many metaphors? See, I told you I needed heart.
Today I am sending off some writing samples and an introduction letter. To a local paper. Hyperventilation starting..... now.
This is something that is hard for me to do. To put it out there in the wind, something that is a joy and a pleasure for me, and risk rejection. I can envision what would thrill me to count as a job, to write about these slices of life in a way that brings a smile and a moment of respite in a busy world. And I want that to... fall into my lap with no effort? Perhaps I have written a tad too much about MagicLand?
The topic came up (for the 5 zillionth time) and Rick bluntly said "You will be 50 and still want this." My mouth dropped. 50?! That is years away, thank you. Then he smiled and said "hypothetically" - because the point is that I talk a really good game. I have been talking this game of submitting writings, and gaining experience for quite a long time. Since I was 8 years old, precisely. :)
I even wrote the intro letter and put together a packet last September.
But that doesn't really count for much, huh.
So, faint heart never gained fair maiden and all that.
I have been feeling the love from you, dear friends, and I'm going to do this. And if this takes one try or many, I will know that it is only through the encouragement of many that I gained some heart. And the timely words of my fellow who knows me so well.
It's about the journey, not the destination, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put it right here, babe!