Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Downtime

Today was a day of unplanned downtime, brought on by a feverish Phoenix. Which meant quiet hours catching up with Mr. DVR: Jon Stewart ("I disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler"), and travel channel, and a sizable chunk finished of a good book.

All the while Phoenix was sleeping beside me on the couch, working on this hairdo, which can only be accomplished through hours of sweaty, feverish toddler sleep coupled with the presence of fuzzy, nest-like baby hair. I give you Opus in Blond:





What are you doing Mom. I just woke up from a 4 hour nap.
And if you think I'm anywhere near ready to shear off this coiffed masterpiece, then you must have missed this emotional brain fart. We shuffled off to the bus stop to collect the kids, and Jadyn assessed the couch situation as soon as she stepped in. Wonderingly, she looked over the collection of phones, remotes, book, snack remnants and stacked comfy pillows: So, this is where you were sitting while we were gone?
(I wonder what that means to her - that we were frozen in time while they were in school?)
Yes, I replied soothingly (with an undertone of "nothing fun happened, you didn't miss anything, please don't stop liking school) and Phoenix was sick the whole morning with a fever, so he slept almost the whole time!
"Oh!" said Jadyn, with a bright smile: "We should have hurried right back home to make him a card!"
They have such faith in their pictures making all right with the world.
"Oh... you definitely should have," I assured her, grinning right back at her twinkly blue eyes.
Stay tuned for more Tales of Mama - she's coming for a visit tomorrow! I can't promise there won't be a guinea chickie in her purse, per my toddler's wishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put it right here, babe!